Sunday, September 14, 2014

Don't Eat Corn If You Don't Like It

I've spent the last few days trying to figure out what to write about and then I thought "well, don't over think it. Just type." So here I am doing just that!

College is amazing. There are interesting people, funny professors, and everyone is or was in the same position you are in now. I've had a great 4 years of college and I have literally just begun. I changed my major twice! My first and longest standing major was veterinary medicine. Then I thought, "Hey, you cried during Marley and Me and during Beverly Hills Chihuahua when the female chihuahua hit her head on a rock. Do you really want to be a vet?" So then I switched my major to veterinary technology. However, I was still unsure. After working at PetCo, I realized I did not want anything to do with having to see an animal dying, upset, or in even the slightest bit of pain. What was I to do though? I had always wanted to be a veterinarian, probably since I could walk. Loving animals is really one of the biggest parts of who I am and I was at a standstill.

Last semester, in the spring, I registered for an art class; sculpting. It was love at first sculpture. Art has always been on the back burner for me. I never thought of myself as an artist or someone who could become one. I had always had my eyes set on the more scientific aspect of myself. Who knew that the key to happiness involved the fast moving tornado that is art? Everyone assumes being an art major is the easiest thing in the world. It isn't! It's tough, challenging, and you have to have creativity spewing out of your pores! Not to mention, the creative thoughts don't stop once you leave the classroom. Every moment of the day, my thoughts are turning every day objects into, "oh, that would make a great piece" or "darn! I really want to draw that!" This semester, I am taking ceramics with one of the most amazing professors I've ever had the pleasure of working with. I'm also sharing this experience with my wonderful boyfriend and another person whom I consider to be one of my best friends.

You're probably wondering why I am telling you this. Here's why. I was in your shoes. I spent 3 years thinking I was happy with my major when in reality, I wasn't. Although it may not seem like it, it was a tough decision to change my major to art. It is not the end of the world and luckily, I have a very supportive family and great friends that helped push me towards doing what makes me happy. College is about finding yourself and figuring out who you want to be for the rest of your life. It is difficult but the outcome is worth it.

Don't get me wrong, kuddos to all you kiddos aspiring to be a vet. Some things are just not meant for everyone. It's kind of like eating corn when in reality you hate corn. Don't do it if it doesn't make you feel good!

Until next time,

Lis

No comments:

Post a Comment