Sunday, November 2, 2014

Rome Wasn't Built In A Day!

It's November! And that means we are getting closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas! *applause*

So this past month has been very busy! Aside from the usual midterms and papers, I have been working hard on my ceramics project. I decided to build a toy soldier from Toy Story and I did not realize how much work went in to making a sculpture like this. 

For starters, I only meant for him to stand at about 15 inches. He is currently standing at about 23 inches and that's without a head or shoulders. Second, he's taking up A LOT of clay. I am already on my second box of clay and each box is 50 pounds!


     After making his boots weeks ago, I actually wanted to call it quits and only focus on the boots and add extreme detail. My professor though, by the name of Cakky, convinced me to just go ahead with the whole body. 

After 2 months, he now has legs and a torso. 


I have added details to his lower body as far as making the edge of his coat, adding pockets, and making detailed seams, BUT I forgot to take a picture of the finished work before wrapping him and storing him away until the next class. Not to worry though, I will take pictures of his progress and update you in a future blog! (I hope I remember...)

I am confident the finished product will look amazing and I can get him ready to be glazed. Hopefully by next week, he will be nice and green and placed in the kiln to be fired. And he'll hopefully have a totally awesome name! That's the goal!

Aside from my ceramics piece, I will be working on a few canvas pieces for a couple of friends. I thought it would be fun to photograph the process and place it on here for y'all to see! This will be in a future blog though since I have not yet started to draw it on a canvas :) 




Until next time! 
- Lis   

No comments:

Post a Comment